I was able to go on a chartered flight that the Ravens put together last week to Tennessee. We left Saturday morning and came back Saturday night. What a crazy day! When we arrived in Tennessee we had buses that took us to the player's hotel. I was able to see Dave, give him a kiss and a hug and hang out with him for awhile. After he left, I joined the rest of our group for a little party the hotel put on for us. They had food, drinks, a full bar, TV's and purple decorations for us in a big convention room. It gave our crazy group plenty of time to get liquored up before the game. About an hour before the game we loaded our buses and had a police escort into the stadium. I had a good feeling going into the game because I saw that the stadium is on SHELBY RD.!!! Once we arrived at the stadium, we had about a mile hike up to our seats. We were 10 rows from the very top of the stadium. The Titans were not gracious enough to give us lower bowl tickets like Miami was. Luckily all the wives sat together so we were able to agonize, fret and support each other.
The game was exactly what I thought it was going to be. I knew it was going to be close and that it was going to come down to the 4th quarter. I don't think I have ever been so emotionally and physically drained from watching a game. I felt as though I had stomach ulcers by the end of it. There was so much stress and emotion building up during the game that as soon as we won all the wives and families just started crying and jumping up and down. It was something I won't soon forget.
After the game I was able to see Dave for a few minutes and we both just stood there elated and in complete shock. There were SO many Ravens fans who came to Tennessee. It was such an amazing atmosphere to be in after that great win. After I saw Dave I had to load our bus and go to the airport so that we could catch our flight home. I was hoping to sleep a little on the plane, but our group was so fired up and excited that they did Ravens cheers pretty much the whole way home.
As soon as we landed I got a text from Dave (who was about 30 minutes ahead of our plane) that said "Oh my gosh...we just got to the airport and it is crazy." I quickly texted him back and said "Crazy?...what do you mean?" He replied..."the fans...." At first I had no idea what he was talking about then I figured it out. See, when the Ravens go to the airport to depart, their bus takes them right on the tarmac and they load their plane. When they come home however, they must walk through the airport like mere mortals to get to their buses waiting outside. Apparently die hard fans know this little fact and came to the airport to greet their victorious Ravens. Dave said there were about 4,000 fans at the airport when they came home. He said they were screaming, crying, cheering and down right excited for the Ravens. If you think that is crazy...this story gets even better. About 21 miles north of the Baltimore airport in Owings Mills is where the actual Ravens Training Facility is. It is a beautiful facility, however it is very well hidden and sit kind of in the middle of nowhere. After the Ravens left airport their buses took them to the facility so that the players could get their cars and go home. When they got to the facility, about 2,000 more fans were lining the streets cheering the Ravens on as they drove in. What is even more incredible is that this was at 12:30 a.m. and it was pouring rain. Talk about dedicated fans!
Brenden Ayanbadejo, #51, had his camera out for all of this craziness and captured the Raven's "Welcome Home." I found the video online and posted it below:
I will be headed up north to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship game on Sunday. It will be another great game of smashmouth football and I know the Raven's will win! Even though they lost to the Steelers twice during the regular season, both times were SO close and even controversial.
The vibe and feeling around Baltimore is amazing. People are so excited and supportive of the Ravens. Dave and I were out doing errands yesterday on his day off and we stopped in a bagel cafe to get some food. The people working there immediately noticed that Dave was a Raven and we started talking to one of the guys. At first the guy said the usual "let's get them this weekend huh?..."wow, what a great game..." Then he came a little closer to us, talked a little softer and more sincere and said, "You guys have no idea what you are doing for Baltimore and the whole state right now. You are literally carrying the city on your backs. Times are tough, the economy is tough, but you are giving the people a positive and exciting outlet. For a few hours a week we are able to forget about some of the hardships in our life and just cheer, cheer, cheer for a team and coach everyone has grown to love." Wow....they say it is just a game....and at the end of the day it is...but you can't deny the outreaching effects that this little game can have. It is an exciting time to be apart of the Ravens organization and I can't wait for them to WIN this weekend!!
GOOOOO RAVENS!

1 comment:
Shelby, I know we don't comment very often, but we love coming here to see whats going on with you two and read your latest insights. Were so excited for you guys! Good luck Sunday, we'll be watching and fingers crossed.
Jake
Post a Comment