the man of my dreams asked me to marry him!
With the craziness of the season I almost forgot that today was such a special day! Dave and I had dated for over 2 1/2 years…which in M.S.T. (Mormon Standard Time) is like 15 years. It wasn’t like we didn’t want to get married, it was just really important for us to date for awhile to experience and grow in the “dating” phase of our relationship. After about two years it was so funny to hear everyone ask us “So….are you guys doing ok?? You aren’t married yet so just wondering what’s going on.” I was always happy to report to those people that I fell more and more in love with Dave each and every day and that there was NOTHING to worry about. There were a few people though that I thought for sure were going to go out and buy a ring for Dave and put it on my hand themselves. Luckily…that’s not how things played out.The fall before he purposed was a really hard time for both of us. I had a career ending knee injury, and Dave was fighting though his own back injury. Beyond our injuries we just kept encountering trial after trial, but through it all we held on to each other even tighter and our love grew and flourished. That year was also my senior year in college and I was extremely stressed with all my classes and finals. Right in the midst of the 1st semester finals Dave asked me to go out to the Olive Garden with him. I gladly accepted and was looking forward to getting out of sweatpants (the college athletes uniform) and taking a break from studying.
After a wonderful dinner at the Olive Garden Dave suggested that we should go down to the SLC temple and check out the Christmas lights. We had done this last year before and I really loved it. I was reluctant to go because I still had so much studying to do…but good ol’ Dave talked me into it. Once we got down to SLC we started walking around the temple grounds and I couldn’t believe how pretty everything was. Dave then suggested that we should take a carriage ride around town. We flagged down a carriage and asked how much it was for a 30 minute ride and the man replied “$75.” Immediately Dave got a look on his face like “uh-oh…I wasn’t planning on it being that much!” Dave politely declined the ride….as we were poor college students at the time and suggested that we keep walking around. At this point I still have NO idea what is about to happen. Eventually we took a break from walking around as sat on the edge of an empty fountain. As we sat down, we both were staring up at the temple and quietly observing its beauty and magnificence. Then I noticed that Dave was trying to get something out of his pocket. A few moments later he pulled out a BEAUTIFUL wood box…opened it up….and asked me to marry him. He did not get down on one knee because I was sitting on him, and because I think he was a little scared to do it in front of so many people. Immediately after he asked me I said “YES YES YES” and we both started crying. After a long hug he said…”Let’s get out of here before someone thinks I’m beating you up and making you cry!” HAHAHA…oh Dave.
Seven months later we were married in Colorado Springs, CO at the USAFA. Two years after that we were sealed in the Bountiful Temple. The 5 years that Dave and I have been together have absolutely been the best years of my life. He is the most wonderful human being I have ever meant and I learn something from him every day. Just his smile alone can completely turn my day around. I truly am the luckiest girl alive. We are each other’s best friends…and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Here’s to many, many more years of happiness together babe!…now go beat the Packers!

4 comments:
We are so glad that you and dave are such good friends and that you are a part of our family. We love you!
I guess I should finish up the quilt now. You passed the 5 yr mark! Congrats!!!
I have to concur with the girls. You are so right for Dave. We are so glad you are his best friend and part of our family. We are so lucky.
I didn't know you two had been sealed, congrads.
Post a Comment