Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Raw Lobster and Karoke!!!

Dave called the other night after his nightly meetings and told me that he experienced his first "rookie hazing" or "initiation." He proceeded to tell me that he had gone into dinner that night really excited because it was "Lobster and Fillet Mignon" night. For a 320 lb. man, this is like telling him he has just arrived to heaven. His excitement and anticipation was quickly dampened once he sat down to eat and realized that the cook had not properly fixed the lobster and that it was basically raw. As Dave put it, "the lobster was quite rubbery."

As if the discovery of the raw lobster wasn't enough, Dave then found out that the veteran's thought that it would be a great time to do their annual "rookie hazing" ritual. Dave (along with the other rookies) were asked to stand up in front of everyone and state their name, how much their signing bonus was AND sing. Yes, that is right everyone, I said SING! The veterans made it quite clear to the rookies that they had to do this and that the veterans would decide if their musical number was up to par. If it wasn't quite up to par, the rookies would have to remain up there until they completed the assignment.


So, as Dave put it....he just went up there and took care of business. He said that the first song that came to mind that he knew the words to was "Fat Bottom Girls Make the Rock'n World Go Round" by Queen. So, with much gusto and vigor, Dave sang this classic song and made his rookie class proud. He said that after his "performance" the veterans clapped showing approval of his effort and allowed him to step down and return to his raw lobster.

I have to say I'm very proud of my husband. I also have to say that I would have paid a million dollars to see his performance....maybe someone caught it on tape and it will surface on YouTube soon or something!

In honor of Dave's musical choice, I have added the song he sang to the music at the bottom. I hope you all will play it and picture Dave in your head singing it.

That is really all the interesting news I have to report from training camp. The Raven's play the Patriots in 8 days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see that performance. I guess we should all just be grateful it wasn't
"Girls just wanna have fun" that one could've come back to haunt him. Shelby- have you heard the song LUCKY by Jason Mraz and Colby Coleigh? I think you should. I think you'd like it.