Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A dream come true…

First of all….GO RAVENS! What a great win at San Diego this weekend! I had such a great time there with my family but this is not what this post is about (don’t worry…I’ll do a San Diego post soon). This post is about my dear husband Dave and his boyhood dream coming true on Monday night.

 

Let’s set up the scene…I flew home from San Diego on Monday and I had a layover in Houston. When I arrived in Houston I called Dave and he told me that after Monday’s practice the media relations guy for the Raven’s asked Dave if he would co-host a radio show. The show is called “The Raven’s Playlist” and is broadcast live from a restaurant and bar called Alonso’s on Monday’s for the local 98 Rock radio station. Dave knew I wouldn’t be home that night (plus they offered him $500) so he jumped at the chance to do the show and be the special guest for the night.

 

He arrived at Alonso’s a little early so he could order some food before the show started because he was starving. The radio guys told Dave that he could create his dream hamburger and that they would name it after him. So, here is what Dave proceeded to order…a hamburger with double bacon (a total of 12 pieces to be exact), double pepper jack cheese and BBQ sauce. Dave promptly named his hamburger “The Cardiac!” Little did Dave know that they were famous for their GIGANTIC hamburgers….he had no idea that it would be so big he would have to eat it with a knife and fork. Nonetheless it was still very tasty and quite satisfying to a hungry offensive lineman.

 

As the radio show was about to start the DJ’s asked Dave if he had brought his iPod. Dave said, “No…no one told me to.” The radio guys said that typically they just pull a few songs off a players iPod and play them through out the night. Dave said…”Oh…well I’m a pretty big Metallica fan and I was just going to play Metallica all night long.” After Dave said that the DJ went and talked to the owner/producer of the station and came back and told Dave they were going to do things a little different. The DJ then told Dave that they were going to do “Dave Hale’s top 10 Metallica songs!” This is the point of the story where I wish more than anything that I could have been right by Dave’s side to see the look on his face! I’m sure it was absolutely priceless!

 

Dave has dreamt of the day where he could do something like this and play his top Metallica songs to the world for years and years. He said ever since he was a little boy that he would constantly think in his mind about his favorite Metallica songs and arrange them in order. We have had many, many road trips across Wyoming and the United States where we discussed various Metallica songs, their albums, memorized lyrics, discussed rehabs stints the band had and argued over which songs were better. We even attended a Metallica concert together in Washington DC last year. Having the opportunity to play Dave’s personal top 10 Metallica songs to the world was literally a dream come true!

 

I was so sad that I had to be on the plane and couldn’t hear Dave’s broadcast but the next morning we went out to breakfast and he told me all about his night “on-air”. He said he had sooo much fun and that he asked the DJ’s if he could stay an extra hour. They all loved Dave so much and one DJ even admitted to having a  “man crush” on Dave and said that he might have to order his jersey. Looks like I’ve got competition ;-)

 

I’m so happy that Dave had the opportunity to do that radio show. It was such a neat experience for him and he even got to dedicate the song “Pulling Teeth” to his brother Ben who is a dentist. The DJ’s expressed interest in having Dave back on the show…so who knows…maybe next week it will be “Dave Hale’s top 10 80’s hair band songs!” HAHAHA.

 

Here is a clip of the show in youtube that I found. It is at the very end of Dave’s time on the show.

 

1 comment:

mom h said...

That is so very cool.