Monday, August 18, 2008

Reunited....for a brief moment

This weekend I traveled to Baltimore to watch Dave play the Minnesota Vikings. I had such a wonderful time and I can't even describe to you how wonderful it was to see Dave. I am really beginning to fall in love with Baltimore and the Inner Harbor. I loved walking around, shopping and eating in the Inner Harbor while Dave was busy or in meetings. It is such a cool enviroment.

Not only was this my first time watching my husband play in the NFL, but it was my first NFL game! Walking to the stadium from my hotel was an incredible experience. Thousands and thousands of people made their way into the gigantic M&T Bank stadium. I told Dave that I think you have to own a Raven's jersey in order to live in Baltimore. They were everywhere! There were so many fun things to do outside the stadium before the game. They had purple margaritas and stations where kids could throw footballs through tires. It was awesome! As I entered the stadium and found my seat I immediately took a moment to take it all in. It was such a weird experience because everything was purple...much like Weber St., but the whole atmosphere was so different. As the Raven's were introduced everyone started screaming and clapping. I got goosebumps because this was SOOOO different than any other football game Dave has ever played in. Not to talk bad about Weber St., but it was a below par experience as far as the sports fans. Since Weber is a "non-traditional" school that hasn't really excelled in sports, the fan support is pretty much limited to family and other athletes...oh and let's not forget the handful of boosters who are still hanging around. There are many students who don't even know that Weber has a DIVISION 1 sports program. Dave was lucky to get 3,000 to 4,000 people a game. So, to experience him playing in a game where the fans were absolutely crazy for their home team was incredible and seemed long overdue.

Dave played the end of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th. This was the game plan going into the game so he was well prepared for that amount of playing time. He had a great game and did really well. Like usual, I felt as if I played every down with him. I think the people next to me thought I was crazy because I was screaming and taking pictures of the jumbo screen every time Dave was on it. After the game I entered a family waiting area and waited for Dave as he showered up. Once he came up from the locker room I gave him a BIG hug and kiss and we made our way to the player parking lot. On our way there Dave took the time to introduce me to several of his teammates and their wives/girlfriends. Being the car girl that I am, it was pretty cool to see some of the player's cars in the parking lot. Let's just say that Toby sorta "stood out." After the game we met up with some other players and ate dinner at a restaurant in the Inner Harbor.

The next day we slept in then walked around the Inner Harbor. We then decided to take a short drive to Washington D.C. It was not what I expected at all. It is a whole different world in DC. It is very run down and has almost an eerie feel to it. The capitol itself, however, was very impressive and massive. I can now say I have seen the nation's capitol!!! WOO HOO. After our quick trip to DC it was time to go to the airport. After several minutes of tears and hugs, I had to say goodbye to Dave once again. It never gets easier and in fact it is getting harder. I just have to keep telling myself that I have to tough it out for 2 more weeks then we will be together forever.

Here are some pics from the game...sorry they are a little out of order. FYI- Dave is #76.


RAVENS - 15 VIKINGS - 23
Waiting on the sideline eager to get in.
Playing left guard.
There's my boy!
Breaking from the huddle.
Caught a piece of him on the jumbo screen.
The real live Raven mascot.
Dave's name in the program.
Dave's picture in the program.


The team running out of the tunnel at the beginning of the game.
Just before kick off.
Fireworks!
My seat was right in front of the end zone.
Where's Waldo?

Jumbo screen.
Marching band, crazy fans, incredible stadium.
The fog/smoke that the players run through.
CHEERLEADERS!
My favorite pic of the trip!
For some reason the colors turned out weird on this one....looks pretty cool though.
Struttin'


The Capitol building.
...and again.






1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am so glad that you got to be there for his first game. I know it has been hard to be seperated, but you are almost to the finish line!!! He looks great!