Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sometimes it's all about the little things....

Today I ran up to Westminster, MD at the end of the morning practice to make a very special delivery to Dave and the starting center Matt Birk. Dave and his buddy Matt have become obsessed with a local market called Santonis over the last few months. Santonis is an upscale market and catering business in a small town just a few miles from our house. They are famous for having delicious lunches on Saturdays. The market sets up smokers outdoors and they smoke their meat all day long. You can go into the market and purchase a meal ticket then take it outdoors to get a sandwich filled with freshly shaved smoked meat. The sandwiches are delicious and your meal ticket also includes a bag of chips and a drink. Can't beat that combo meal! It has become tradition for Dave and Matt to eat at Santonis every Saturday. Dave and Matt are both in camp obviously this Saturday but that wouldn't stop them from eating their Santonis.

Dave asked if I could bring them 4 sandwiches after the morning practices so they didn't have to eat "the disgusting hotel food" and so that they could keep the tradition going. I told Dave I would gladly make the delivery. So...this morning I was the first in line and order 4 delicious Santonis sandwich's. I then took them to my car and wrapped them up in foil so they would stay warm and packed them in a cooler.

I arrived at camp just as practice had ended and everyone was leaving. I jumped out of my car, grabbed the two coolers and headed towards the special "friends and family" members area. I called Dave to let him know I was here and he and Matt came gingerly walking out of the locker room. As I saw them walking towards me I had to laugh because each of them had one elbow with ice on it but at the same time I also had a feeling of uneasiness come over me. I immediately started to remember my "dog days of camp" when I was playing volleyball and the extreme mental and physical exhaustion that would go with it. Both Matt and Dave were so drained they looked like all the life was sucked out of them. They were able to crack a smile though once they saw the coolers and realized I really did bring them Santonis.

As we sat there and chatted I realized that this delivery was less about the food and more about the feeling associated it. I think these sandwiches were the definition of "comfort food" today. When we are struggling in life or in a strenuous situation sometimes it is the little things that can make it bearable or more tolerable. Those sandwiches didn't make practice easier, secure a position on the team or take away aches and pains but for a brief moment it made things "O.K." ;)

I'm so proud of my husband and how hard he is working at camp. When we were in college we would go through camp together so we could share battle stories and be sore together. Now things are different and our roles have changed. I almost feel guilty for not putting my body through the same hell as he is going through. That is why I was MORE than happy to make that special delivery today because it was a way I could contribute and help Dave get through camp.

Keep on truckin' Dave! You are my hero!

1 comment:

mom h said...

Shelby you are my hero because you take such good care of my "baby". Thak you so much. I love you