Tuesday, April 20, 2010

10 week knee update

I can’t believe it but it has been 10 weeks since my knee surgery. I think it would suffice to say that it has been the longest, most trying 10 weeks of my life! It has been a physical and emotional rollercoaster. I am SO SO SO thankful that I have such a patient husband because I haven’t always been the best, or nicest person these last 10 weeks. THANKS BABE!

 

As of right now I am in physical therapy 3 times a week. The rehab with microfracture surgery is kind of tricky because my cartilage will continue to grow and get more fibrous 6-8 months down the line. Due to this, it is important to stretch out my physical therapy and avoid bearing too much weight on my knee too soon….in other words – BABY STEPS!!. It is hard because I feel really good, and feel like I should be progressing faster, but have to keep telling myself “the slower, the better.” Not only is it difficult for me, but it has proven difficult for my therapists as well. They are constantly having to remind themselves that I’m only 10 weeks out and not to push me too hard. My therapists have told me I’m one of the most baffling microfracture cases they have ever seen because I have such good movement, little pain/swelling and am getting my strength back really quick.  I have to say that I really like my therapists which helps and they are even incorporating volleyball into my sessions which is fun because it is kind of like reliving my glory days. They can’t believe that I can set and pass the ball to the same place every time. ;-)

 

Besides playin’  a little volleyball, I’m walking with out crutches, working on quad and hamstring strength, as well as working on my balance in therapy. Another thing that amazes my therapists is how good my balance is. I told them that my dad used to make us propioception boards (balance boards) for us as kids as “toys” and we played on them all the time….at first they thought I was crazy and didn’t believe me….but now I think they do :-).  This week I hit a new milestone and was able to ride the elliptical for 10 minutes! So far I have had minimal pain and swelling. The most pain I’ve experienced was when I went of crutches and my tibia and fibula went into shock and I had pretty bad bone pain, but I really haven’t had pain in my knee.

 

I’m taking my glucosamine/MSM like crazy, icing, praying, thinking positively and going to therapy in hopes that this will BE THE LAST KNEE surgery that I will need. I really don’t know if I could handle another one. Thanks for everyone’s support and prayers as well. It has really meant a lot.

 

kneetrochleargroove1

Here is the area of my knee where I had the microfracture performed. It is called the “trochlear groove.”

3 comments:

Brandon and Cari (Sellers) Murdock said...

that's amazing! i never would have known you had surgery recently if you hadn't said so. congrats on a smooth recovery! i'm jealous of your balance. i am the epitome of a clutz. i trip over my own feet!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Shelby! I know it has been a long road for you and DAVE! Love Mom

mom h said...

So glad you are doing so well.. Keep on keeping on.A doctor once told me with medical healing if it goes slow it is usually good, but when it goes fast it is time to worry . I am so proud of both of you